Модераторы:

Страницы: (5)  # 1 [2] 3 4 ... Последняя » ( Перейти к первому непрочитанному сообщению ) Новая тема

Marathon of new foreign words

, Challenge yourself
Supreme
Отправлено: Dec 15 2019, 20:52

Всеведающий
Облик: Animagus Thunderbird

Цитата (Кларисса Фран @ Dec 15 2019, 19:29)
I usually skim-through stuff I don't really enjoy, but I usually read throughfully stuff I really love. And you?

To be honest, I do to. Especially when it is a description of a landscape or philosophical thoughts, do not have enough patience to follow the thought :))
^
Supreme
Отправлено: Dec 16 2019, 06:05

Всеведающий

i  

Day three
Ladies, do not give up so easily, let's continue :hey:
Today you also can write two new words and five sentences with old words of your choice.

Try to name objects from your household — it is both useful and easy to do, and I am pretty sure if you go down to details,
you will definitely find objects, which translations you do not now!

P.S. You still have one hour to write words of the second day
День третий
Девушки, не сдавайтесь так просто, давайте продолжать :hey:
Сегодня вы тоже можете запостить два новых слова и пять предложений ранее выучеными словами, на ваш выбор.

Попытайтесь назвать предметы в вашем доме — это полезно и легко, и я уверена, что если вы попытаетесь назвать прям каждое-каждое слово,
наверняка найдёте предметы, перевод которых вы не знаете!

П.С. У вас всё ещё есть один час, чтобы написать слова для второго дня

^
Хана
Отправлено: Dec 16 2019, 06:06

Всеведающий

feverishly - лихорадочно
Показать текст спойлера

(1)She feverishly mumbled prayers that could no longer save her. The Holy Father looked sadly in her eyes, and laid his hand on her forehead. After a couple of minutes, she stopped muttering.
(2)Michael was dancing very interestingly. It can be said feverishly. With convulsions and seizures - everything is as it should be for a real techno-dance dancer. Or a street dancer. Or an African dancer. Or just for a person who doesn't know how to dance.

seduce - соблазнить
Показать текст спойлера

(1)I know that you all watched only Twilight. But in Woody Allen's Cafй Society Kristen Stewart literally seduced me. Yes, I'm glad that she is not dating Robert Pattinson anymore, but she is still taken and that makes me feel depressed.
(2)Ok, maybe I just need a girlfriend, but Natasha Lyonne seduced me too. I don't care that she is forty! She looks younger, and most important - she got a young spirit (probably. Never met her).

i  

Засчитано во второй день :) а где же пять предложений с уже выученными словами? :))

^
Хана
Отправлено: Dec 16 2019, 06:07

Всеведающий

Marathon of new foreign words (post #4921412)
это на второй день, если что. ты на час раньше третий запостила:)
^
freefly
Отправлено: Dec 16 2019, 12:59

Гуру
Облик: Animagus Unicorn

Цитата
freefly, how many objects made of brass do you have, if any? Is there anything made of brass, you would like to buy?

No brass at all) I had guitar strings made of copper. That`s all)

waggish - забавный, озорной, комичный, шаловливый (забавно, что может переводиться как вялый также, но в исходном переводе гуглпереводчика в основном это веселый, забавный и так далее)

user posted image

Red dog named Sally was so waggish, that Ann couldn`t stop playing with it for many hours, and when evening came Ann was surprised, as it felt like she played with Sally for barely half an hour.
When he started his stand-up performance, suddenly he felt so happy, energetic, starry and waggish, that it almost destroyed his acting, which could make this performance the last one.

sullen -угрюмый, мрачный, замкнутый, зловещий, сердитый, гнетущий

user posted image

Tragetlane town was totally covered with rain clouds and fog, and though it was green and surrounded by lively forests, it could make any person turn sullen with it`s view in no time.
He always looks so sullen and unpleasant that you won`t find a single neighbor from the whole street who would even know his name, which makes this situation much worse.

Aaand 5 more sentences.

This was not a usual material for a ritual cup, reddish shiny metal kept his attention, and as he was mumbling something, one could hear words "fusion", "ferromagnet" and "brass".
Nothing is comparable to this high and clear, pure sound of good old brass trumpet,when it cuts the silence in that very moment you`re all alone and as free as you might be.
Everything was about to become the last straw: bad breakfast, an annoying neighbors` quarrel, broken dishwasher, deadly slow laptop work, dreadful sound of fridge, and even commode drawer, that refused to close.
Here, in this drawer all her treasures were kept: a stone with a drop of amber, Lily once gave her, her paintings, magnet from Italia, gift from Tommy, her schoolmate, birthday cards and several candies.
All the drawers were filled with different sort of trash, and it was clear this trash was collected and kept here for years, so she refused to buy any kind of furniture from Letsers house the very moment she imagined herself clearing this commode out.
^
Supreme
Отправлено: Dec 16 2019, 20:24

Всеведающий

Хана, freefly, :runing: girls, I am inspired by you! Thank you for taking part in the marathon with me and giving me extra motivation for my portion of words.

freefly, I really like that you used the idiom "last straw" in your sentence :))
Хана, wow, "seduce" in which situation did you need the word?
stricken – вязать
Показать текст спойлера
1. Als ich Kind war, hatten wir in der Schule ein Fach, wo man unterschiedliche nuetzliche Taetigkeiten fuer Haushalt lernen sollte, außerdem, muessten wir auch stricken lernen, was bei mir nicht richtig klappte.
2. Immer wenn ich eine Hausaufgabe bekommen habe, etwas fuer den naechsten Unterricht zu stricken, kaufte ich ein Wollknaeuel und brachte es zu meiner Oma – sie hat mir beim Stricken geholfen.

die Faeustlinge – варежки
Показать текст спойлера

1. Wenn ich zwischen Faeustlinge und Handschuhe waehlen soll, dann nehme ich mir lieber die Faeustlinge – sie wirken viel waermer an, besonders weil die Finger sich an einander reiben.
2. Heute war ich auf den Weihnachtsmarkt, und dort habe ich solche Faeustlinge gesehen, die eine kleine Tasche hatten, die könnte man öffnen und somit würden die Fingerspitzen von Faeustlinge befreit.

1. Die professionellen Schlittschuhe haben eine verstellbare Kufe – wenn sie kaput geht, kann man locker die Kufe bei dem Schlittschuhmeister ersetzen. Das kostet zwar Geld, ist aber trotzdem billiger, als neue Schlittschuhe kaufen.
2. Mein Vater ist ein erfahrene Schlittschuhlaeufer, er laesst seine Schlittschuhe nur bei den besten Meistern schleifen, weil er weiß, dass der gute Schliff garantiert Sicherheit und stabilitaet auf dem Eis.
3. Die Musikanlage in dem Fitnessstudio, wo ich zwei Mal die Woche traeniere funktioniert wieder nicht, gestern hat mein Trainer für mich gesungen, dass ich mich nicht allzu belangweilend fuehlte.
4. Morgen müssen wir unterschiedliche Moebel fuer das Badezimmer kaufen: eine Badewanne, eine Toilette, einen Waschbecken, einen Spiegelschrank und, natürlich einen Duschkopf mit Wasserhaene.
5. Die Kufen fuer die Schlittschuhe sind meistens aus Eisen gemacht, weil das Silber und Gold sind zu weichen Metallen – vom Koerpergewicht und Belastung waehrend den Spruenge werden sie sich biegen.
^
Кларисса Фран
Отправлено: Dec 16 2019, 21:10

Профессионал
Магистр X
Облик: --

The best source of English words for me are Warhammer rulebooks. Really - most complicated English I've ever seen. And where do your English words come from?

reclusion - состояние отшельничества, затворничества, заключения
Показать текст спойлера

(1) Alyssa lived in reclusion at the top of the cliff, the only people she saw from time to time were hiking tourists in the summer, she spent all of her time collecting herbs and classsifying them.
(2) Randy spent his last month in complete reclusion, no one seen him coming in or out of his house, he dedicated all this time for studying, he has only 1 month left before his entrance exams.

provenance - происхождение, источник
Показать текст спойлера

(1) The painting clearly had Russian provenance, even its frame had distinctive peculiar corners, Clare haven't noticed anything suspicious about it, but it would take time to inspect it throughfully.
(2) Considering this coin's condition and provenance I can't decrease the price - said the old bearded man in antiques shop - this is my final price, or it can wait for its new owner a little longer.

(1) Anna lied a lot, by a lot I mean she was more often lying, than telling truth - and today she lied about sitting and studying, but enjoyed perfect weather and was wandering nearby hillocks with her dog all the day.
(2) Yaaay! - yelled Iren sliding down the water chute - it was her first time in aqua park and it was going perfectly, she was enjoying herself and was really happy.
(3) Diane skimmed through her notes again - no, nothing like this was on the lectures, she was sure about of it - but what did this question come from - did she need to look for answers somewhere else?
(4) Melissa was thinking about what to do with Dave's proposal - and when she was thinking she was fiddling with her hair as usual - was he lying to her, did he have some hidden agenda?
(5) Rena skimmed through the mail - so much work to do, she always hated first work days after vacation - she looked at the clock - maybe this is already lunch time?
^
Supreme
Отправлено: Dec 17 2019, 05:50

Всеведающий

i  

Day four
My fair ladies, we are coming pretty energetically to the middle of the marathon!
:crazy_jump: :crazy_jump: :crazy_jump: :crazy_jump:
It is a fourth day already, and two more words are waiting to be learned and practices.

Today as well you can (and I encourage you!) write five sentences with previously learned words.
By the way, which online-dictionaries do you use during the marathon, if any?

I personally always look up to the https://context.reverso.net/translation/ . Especially I enjoy the "context" section,
which allows me to understand in which situations I should use a new word.

P.S. You still have one hour to write words of the third day
День четвертый
Мои прекрасные девчонки, мы весьма энергично приближаемся к средине марафона!
:crazy_jump: :crazy_jump: :crazy_jump: :crazy_jump:
Уже четвёртый день марафона, и сегодня вы тоже можете запостить два новых слова и пять предложений ранее выучеными словами, на ваш выбор.
Кстати, какими онлайн-словарями вы пользуетесь во время марафона?

Лично я всегда сверяюсь с https://context.reverso.net/translation/, особенно мне нравится секция "контекст",
благодаря которой я могу понять в каких ситуациях нужно использовать новое слово.

П.С. У вас всё ещё есть один час, чтобы написать слова для третьего дня

Добавлено через 15 минут
Цитата (Кларисса Фран @ Dec 16 2019, 21:10)
And where do your English words come from?

I admit, mostly from the books — either fantasy or science fiction, also now I am reading "Five little pigs" of Agatha Christie, and she throws in quite often poetic epithets, which I usually do not know.

Кларисса Фран I wonder, why for "provenance" you picked a book with Shakespeare? %)
^
Хана
Отправлено: Dec 17 2019, 06:49

Всеведающий

stratified - расслаивается, ну или в контексте моего предложения, стратифицированная , и мне сейчас еще нужно гуглить что это значит на русском языке.
Показать текст спойлера

(1)I got a test in my American Politics class. One of the questions asked to explain what is a stratified "quota". Now I need to figure out not only the translation, but also what does it even mean in Russian.
(2)My life is stratified into pieces in all areas. Just like the walls in my apartment due to lack of repair for the past 75 years. In general, I learned a clever thing - no apartment - no problems (with apartment).

piercing - не только пирсинг, но и пронзительный
Показать текст спойлера

(1)A piercing scream came from the woods. We got really scared. But Vladimir controlled himself - he immediately ran into the hut and grabbed the gun. When he сame back, it was already quiet out in the woods.
(2)This boy, sitting and piercing needles of all kinds, looked excited. I have heard that he could professionally pierce not only handicraft stuff, but human flesh too. Tattoos and gangster wounds - this was his main source of income.

Это все к прошлому 3 дню:>
^
freefly
Отправлено: Dec 17 2019, 11:29

Гуру
Облик: Animagus Unicorn

meditative - задумчивый, созерцательный
user posted image
He has been so meditative whole day long, that Constance started to show her impatiance and disturbance, on the verge of being ready to call doctor Crackson.
Big Adam`s peak, sunrise : that`s what I imagine, if I need to relax and stay calm in any situation, it gives me strength to be meditative in the middle of any kind of khaos.

fanciful - причудливый, фантастический, прихотливый, капризный, странный, мечтательный
user posted image
Her mind was quite fanciful, she seems to live in her own weird world, not disturbed by real one. One could say, it`s absolutely normal for such a creative person.
This melody was unlike anything they`ve ever heard, it was pleasant, but strange, fanciful and bizarre, looked like the world gone mad, and this melody was the main reason.

Five more sentences:

1.It was definitely not a usual drawer, it had distorted space inside, much larger then it should be (judging from the whole commode size and a simple fact all his things fitted easily), and Harry was sure, he heard it mumbled some filthy words while closing.
2."Who would use such kind of material for this purpose? You`re kidding me, right? Brass? For wires? Have you totally lost your mind? Why in the world did you think it was a good idea? It`s not even in the list, so what made you deside it`s a good idea to make an experiment?"
3.All the tourists were excited, talkative, waggish, taking hundreds of photos each five steps, which almost infuriated the guide. He was in hurry, because the weather deteriorated rapidly, which resulted in risks to stay there for night.
4.His sullen face and constant sadness made people avoid him each time he tried to talk about his troubles, relatives, illnesses and so on and so forth. He considered himself the most offended by all people, life and destiny, and liked to talk about it for hours.
5.Brass pipes looked like they were centuries old, but, obviously, they were not. Something or someone made it covered with dirt, limescale on purpose. Some pipes were mechanically damaged, and there was no doubt all the system must be changed.
^
0 Пользователей читают эту тему ( Гостей и Скрытых Пользователей)
Пользователей:

Страницы: (5)  # 1 [2] 3 4 ... Последняя » Новая тема

[ Script Execution time: 0.1199 ]   [ 34 queries used ]   [ GZIP включён ]   [ Time: 05:42:13, 24 Jan 2021 ]

Контактный адрес: deweiusmail.ru