Модератори:

Сторінки: (4)  [#] 1 2 3 ... Остання ».  ( Перейти до першого непрочитаного повідомлення ) Нова тема

TOEFL/IELTS/SAT

, and other standardized tests
Відправлено: Oct 15 2013, 03:58
How many people have taken any of the tests required as a proof of English language or subject proficiency?

Personally I had to take TOEFL and SAT General and Subject Tests. Although, the General SAT test was a bit of a challenge for me, the overall impression of the tests was not too bad.

I was wondering, if many forum users have taken any of the tests for either undergraduate (TOEFL/IELTS/SAT/ACT/etc.) or graduate (GMAT/GRE/LSAT/etc.) level programs? Or are preparing to take them?
Відправлено: Oct 15 2013, 14:25
I took an IELTS exam this summer. I have been prepearing for 4 months, so I was apologized when I recieved a letter with low scores. I thoght that did my best at writing (as usually at lessons) and failed speaking, but, conversaly, my speaking score is better! Bizzare!
Відправлено: Oct 16 2013, 00:45
Schwarze Katze, the highest you can get on the IELTS test is 9, isn't it?
Відправлено: Oct 16 2013, 13:24
Yes it is, but it's unreal to get 9) Some people say that 8.5 is the highest score that human have ever had. I'm ashamed of my score: only 5.5 ( o God, I'm not a human))
Відправлено: Oct 16 2013, 13:46
I've never taken IELTS or GMAT... well, I should have taken the latter but I was lazy lucky enough.))
anyway, I've took TOEFL a couple of times.
Відправлено: Oct 26 2013, 01:33
I didn`t take any of listed above, but I took placement test. You need placement test when enrolling US University or college(not like international student, but like american). I took just English, but I have to take maths as well.
Placement test is hard. It`s not about grammar(like it will be if you enroll as international), it`s about understanding what is implied in the text, main points of it and sort of that stuff.
And texts were really tough.
Відправлено: Oct 27 2013, 06:06
Gypsy J, that's kind of what SAT is all about. Understanding the text, the implied meanings and the academic vocabulary
How did you do on your placement tests?
Відправлено: Oct 27 2013, 19:56
Houdini, Oh I see!
Not terribly bad but according to my results I have to take one more English class.

The college has its own score table.
0-15 ESL(English as a second language)
16-30 ENG060
31-50 ENG070
51-70 ENG080
71-90 ENG090
90< ENG111

ENG111 class is compulsory for each student. I scored 71-90, so I have to pick up ENG090 before starting my studying for diploma.
I think about retaking the test for better score.
Додано через хвилину
Houdini, How was your TOEFL test?
Відправлено: Oct 27 2013, 21:35
Gypsy J, which college are you in?

Oh, it was okay. I wasn't feeling at my best that day, but overall I did better than average. Either way, it got me to a university, so it should be good enough, right? :D
Відправлено: Oct 27 2013, 22:06
I few years ago I was planning to study in Sweden, so I had to pass IELTS. It wasn't as hard as I thought, the toughest part was speaking. 7.5 out of 9.0 isn't a bad score for 10th form student :lol: But the photo on the diploma was awful, I'm so happy I didn't have to show it anywhere
Відправлено: Oct 29 2013, 00:34
Houdini, community college
Додано через хвилину
Houdini, where did you study?
Відправлено: Oct 31 2013, 04:22
Злюка Войевна, which one?

I am still at the University of Minnesota :skype_sun:
Відправлено: Nov 2 2013, 19:53
Houdini, Central Piedmont Community College, North Carolina
Відправлено: Nov 4 2013, 04:50
Houdini, wow!
how long have u been in US?
Відправлено: Nov 7 2013, 13:36
Gypsy J, why wow?
It's my third year in the states, but I've been moving around :skype_rolleyes:
Відправлено: Nov 9 2013, 00:41
Houdini, When are you going to come back home?
Відправлено: Nov 10 2013, 21:29
Gypsy J, I fly home a couple of times every year, and I will be done with my bachelor's degree next spring. So in a year and a half.

What about you?
Відправлено: Nov 15 2013, 05:07
Houdini, Oh, I see!
I am not sure yet. I believe I will go on June, 26, but I am not positive about it. If nothing changes, I bet I will go back.
Відправлено: Nov 27 2014, 22:03
IELTS is a challenge. While TOEFL is not at all.
Відправлено: Nov 28 2014, 11:18
Донни, what's so challenging about IELTS?
Відправлено: Nov 28 2014, 16:00
dovelet, I compare this particular test with the TOEFL exam. So, in comparison, it is more difficult. Actually, IELTS is quite normal.
Відправлено: Nov 30 2014, 12:15
Донни, yes, I got it. What I was asking is: in what way?
Відправлено: Dec 2 2014, 22:30
dovelet, it's a long story =)
Listening TOEFL part is too primitive - you have to listen to the audio twice and it's just a test like an A-part in our russian USE (ЕГЭ).
Reading is quite difficult, it's OK
Writing is normal. It takes less time to prepare this part than the one during your preparation for IELTS.
Speaking is baaaad for me. Cuz you have to record while there are lot of people around, they are making their records too ans it's too loud. Less concentration, as a fact.

IELTS, in general, is more complicated and you have to be prepared to some specific questions. And you speak with a real person)
Відправлено: Dec 3 2014, 04:12
It's easier to speak with a real person, imho. Specific questions on the other hand... Ok, got it.
somewhat. :D
Відправлено: Dec 7 2014, 04:13
As far as I know, TOEFL is being accepted everywhere, so it might be a good idea to take it instead of preparing for IELTS.
Відправлено: Dec 7 2014, 09:13
Пэйджик, not necessarily everywhere but yes, it is a good thing to have the TOEFL certificate just in case.
Відправлено: Mar 6 2015, 15:18
As well as IELTS one. I guess the type of test you should sit depends on where are you going to use it. For educational purposes in Europe for example you'd better pass IELTS :)
Відправлено: May 18 2015, 14:44
I've had a great experience of preparing for the IELTS exam 'cause I had to take it this summer. I've got 7 out of 9 on my IELTS and I'm very pleased with my results. ^_^

Frankly, I would say that IELTS is not as complicated as some students would say. However, I would recommend also to consider a TOEFL exam for those, who haven't decided yet where they want to study/work: in Europe or in the USA, cause I've heard that at some American universities/work places IELTS is not accepted. oO
Відправлено: May 18 2015, 15:34
Madira, 7 out of 9 is an amazing result! You should be proud of yourself.

I've heard, that IELTS is so much easier compared to TOEFL, but I guess it's different for everybody.

According to Wikipedia, IELTS is accepted in 8,000+ universities, and TOEFL - in 9,000. I guess more institutions prefer TOEFL over IELTS after all.
Відправлено: Jul 7 2015, 11:55
IELTS is mostly accepted around Europe, but TOEFL is all about the USA and Australia. And yes, it is different for everyone, the level of the particular test.
I took IELTS again since I had to do it for completing the admission to the German University and this time it was a way easier to do it. But the results were surprising anyway (listening and reading 9, speaking 7.5, writing 7, overall 8). Now I am planning to take TOEFL, it must be quite useful to check your skills in various kinds of tests.
Відправлено: Dec 27 2015, 17:20
I'm going to pass IELTS academic next year
Відправлено: May 20 2016, 15:19
I'd like to try taking one of these tests, or even some.
0 Користувачів переглядають дану тему ( Гостей і Прихованих Користувачів)
Користувачів:

Сторінки: (4)  [#] 1 2 3 ... Остання ». Нова тема

[ Script Execution time: 0.1079 ]   [ 42 queries used ]   [ GZIP ввімкнено ]   [ Time: 02:31:30, 26 Apr 2024 ]

Рейтинг Ролевых Ресурсов - RPG TOP